Wolseong Fortress, Gyeongju, South Korea

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Burmese Food

I had trouble finding food suited to my taste buds in Burma.  There was this chicken place  that I went to on my first night in Yangon.  Fast food joint was named Tokyo Fried Chicken and  this was supposed to be Yangon's version of KFC.  I could not eat the chicken.  It had a bad after taste. Also tried a noodle place called 999 Shan Noddle Shop.  Noodle soup  was  okay but not as good as  in Thailand and Vietnam.

For a couple of days, I could not really eat much.  My best meal was always breakfast, which consisted of bread with butter or marmalade, eggs and fruits.  I thought I was sick since I did not have a good appetite.  Until I met this French woman who runs the nicest  restaurant in Nyaung U in Bagan.  Unfortunately I can not remember her name and the name of her restaurant.  She explained to me that Burmese food has a lot of oil and fish sauce.  This is why many foreigners have a hard time eating Burmese food.  She suggested that before I order to check  if the food on the menu is cooked Burmese or Chinese, or better yet find restaurants that specialize in Indian, Japanese, Korean or Chinese cuisine.

Finally, following her advice, I was able to eat well in Burma.

No comments:

Post a Comment