Wolseong Fortress, Gyeongju, South Korea

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Bhaktapur: Saving the Best for Last





I came to Bhaktaphur expecting a lot because of the strong recommendations I read in the internet and from some people who have been to the place. What I saw and experienced exceeded my expectations!

Bhaktaphur is the best preserved among the medieval cities of the Kathmandu Valley. You therefore really feel that you are traveling back in time. Ancient houses, grand squares, and iconic temples continue to be inhabited by locals who go on with their lives observing ancient practices, traditions, and religious rites. It was like being in a theme park except that this one is for real!

The US$ 10 entrance fee is well worth the experience of living in the olden times. It was a wise decision for me to stay 2 nights inside the city of Bhaktapur for it allowed me to soak up the atmosphere walking through the cobblestone streets and observing local life at its ancient best.

Truly, Bhaktapur is the best place I visited in Nepal. And it was good I made it my final destination. I left Nepal with unforgettable memories of a country rich with ancient traditions, magnificent temples, awesome sceneries, and sincerely good, friendly and kind people.

No comments:

Post a Comment